Monday, June 04, 2007

Seven Relational Remedies...

"I urge Euodia and I urge Syntyche to live in harmony in the Lord. Indeed, true companion, I ask you also to help these women who have shared my struggle in the cause of the gospel..." (Philippians 4:2-3).

Paul identifies a relational problem in Philippi and then sets out to provide a relational remedy in the verses that follow.

We would do well to practice these seven remedies in all of our relationships...
  1. "Rejoice in the Lord always!" (v4). It's very hard to be angry or bitter when your are busy praising God.
  2. "Let your gentle spirit be known to all men!" (v5). Gentle means humble and patient. I'm pretty sure that "gentle spirits" aren't divisive and venomous.
  3. "Be anxious for nothing!" (v6). Worry about nothing? That's right--nothing!
  4. Pray about everything! (v6). EVERYTHING! We're too busy to fight when we're praying.
  5. Guard your heart and mind with God's peace! (v7). Peace is the absence of conflict. When you feel conflict coming on...run to God!
  6. Think positively! (v8). We naturally tend to focus on the negative. Paul lists the positives. Be optimistic!
  7. Practice being Jesus! (v9). We're really good at knowing stuff and really bad and doing what we know. Practice Jesus!
I will have these things in mind as I go to San Antonio this weekend for the Southern Baptist Convention.

No comments: