I will be preaching 1 Corinthians 12:27-31 this weekend emphasizing that, "God wants you to be you!" Here is a quick overview of the text:
- Collectively, we are the whole Body of Christ (v27).
- Individually, we are members of the Body of Christ (v27).
- Strategically, we are placed in the Body of Christ (v28).
- Uniquely, we are used by the Body of Christ (v29-30).
- Motivationally, we build up the Body of Christ (v31).
- Ideally, we love the Body of Christ (v31).
Don't forget that all of this is in the context of Spiritual Giftings. Our unique abilities are blended together in the Holy Spirit to produce a really tasty spiritual smoothy. Even though God wants you to be you--it's still not about you!
Here's a good idea of what it means to allow God to build up the body through love. Dr. Walter Lacey in a book entitled, "Empowering Church Volunteers...To Develop A Passion for Service" says that we empower others for service in primarily four ways:
- We empower by letting someone who may be less-skilled do a job that we are very good at.
- We empower by recognizing potential and allowing skill development.
- We empower by intentionally spending time with others.
- We empower by letting go of control and authority.
Your greatest ministry may in fact be the ministry that you give away! To be sure--they will not do it the way that you would. Can you love enough to give up control? Are you filled with the Spirit in order to be able to love? Don't forget..."The Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace..." (Galatians 5:22-23).