Friday, September 28, 2007

Navy Chaplain Corps...


I received an Honorable Discharge from the United States Navy on September 6th.
I was commissioned into the Navy's Chaplain Corps a little more than three years ago and overall it was a good experience. I joined just after my 40th birthday as a result of what I call a "Wild at Heart" experience. I had always wanted to have some connection with the military but it just never seemed to make sense for me. At the time that I joined, age 40 was the limit for chaplains. It was "now or never". My biggest difficulty with the Navy was adjusting to the inefficiency and the unending paperwork. I found that true ministry was fairly hard to create. The much spoken-of problem of praying in Jesus' name was never a problem for me. At no time, other than Chaplain School, was I ever instructed to avoid "Jesus". My experience with the Navy has really confirmed my calling as a pastor. I have much more that I would like to share at some point but for now I just wanted to let all my friends and family know that my time in the U.S. Navy has now concluded. I would be more than happy to answer questions that any of you may have about my experiences.

1 comment:

Clayton & Amber said...

Hi. I am considering Navy Chaplaincy. Could you tell me a little about how much tim eyou spend away from home? Thanks. My email is clayjon@regent.edu