Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Giving Thanks for "not enough"...


I often reserve my times of thanksgiving for those times when God has come through for me in a big way. Like everyone else, I am thankful when the Father rescues me from my unpleasant circumstances. Jesus gave thanks a little bit differently. Notice Matthew 15:36, "Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, thanked God for them, broke them into pieces, and gave them to the disciples, who distributed the food to the crowd." Did you see it? Jesus had 5000+ people sitting on the lawn waiting for lunch. His lunch consisted of seven loaves of bread and two fish--hardly enough for 5000! Get this: He "thanked God for them". He was thankful for not enough. He was grateful in has lack. Then he took the "not enough" and acted as if it was enough. He distributed the food through his disciples. So the next time, I don't have enough, may I express my thanks to God for my "not enough" and then act as if it was enough. That's what Jesus did...

No comments: