Monday, April 12, 2010

How to Laugh with God

The laughter of God is mentioned four times in the scriptures: Psalm 2:4; Psalm 37:13; Psalm 59:8; and Proverbs 1:26. In each instance, the laughter of God is prompted by the foolishness of man. In other words, God is greatly amused by our attempts to live our lives independently of his care and counsel. It's as if he asks while suppressing the overwhelming urge to laugh, "so how's that independence working out for you?" I'm not one to enjoy being laughed at and so Psalm 2 prompted me to ask the question, "How can I laugh WITH God?" I believe that the answer is included in the Psalm.

The first three verses describe the rage of the nations--the plotting conspiracy of the world's peoples to break free from the governance of God. It's futile, of course which is what prompts the laughter of God. "He who sits in the heavens laughs, The Lord scoffs at them" (Psalm 2:4). Literally, God makes fun of those who attempt to live without him--He ridicules them. "Them" is "me" every time that I choose "my way" over "God's way". So how do we "laugh with God"? I believe that Psalm 2 lists seven ways to laugh with God. It has everything to do with joining God in His work rather than fighting the purposes of God. Rather than insisting on our independence we need to rest under His Lordship.

Psalm 2 is a "messianic psalm"--being both descriptive and prophetic of Christ. As joint-heirs with Christ who will share in His inheritance it seems reasonable to make the personal application of verses 8-12. With that in mind, here is how to laugh with God:

#1--"Ask of me, and I will surely give the nations as Your inheritance, and the very ends of the earth as Your possession" (Psalm 2:8). I think God laughs with us when we pray for faith-expanding, miracle-requiring movements of God. We should ask for the nations. We should pray to possess the ends of the earth. This parallels the Great Commission of Matthew 28:18-20.

#2--"Now therefore, O kings, show discernment" (Psalm 2:10). If kings need wisdom--then we need wisdom. According to James, we should ask for wisdom that God loves to give generously.

#3--"Take warning, O judges of the earth" (Psalm 2:10). The really smart people (judges) need instruction. If that's the case--then I really need instruction. The real trick then is the obedience needed to do what I know to do (Romans 7). I laugh with God when I do what He declares to be best.

#4--"Worship the Lord with reverence" (Psalm 2:11). Literally: "serve the Lord with fear".

#5--"And rejoice with trembling" (Psalm 2:11). Be so excited and filled with joy that you tremble. I had a dog once who would tremble every time that we went to the park. He LOVED the park.

#6--"Do homage to the Son, that He not become angry, and you perish in the way, For His wrath may soon be kindled" (Psalm 2:12). Literally, we are to "kiss" the Son. We are to draw intimately close to Him.

#7--"How blessed are all who take refuge in Him!" (Psalm 2:12). The next time you are in trouble, be talked about, or are just plain stuck--run to Jesus!

No comments: