Sunday, January 27, 2008

105 lb. Champion!

I'm fairly new to the world of Middle School Wrestling. My youngest son discovered the ancient sport last fall during PE. He decided to try out for the wrestling team and we have been hooked ever since. He weighs in at a hefty 100 lbs and is quick as lightening. I've taught him everything that I know about wrestling through personal interaction. My older brother taught me wrestling by pounding on me relentlessly when we were kids. Unfortunately, much of what I know of the sport is quite illegal (i.e. what I've seen on tv). I'm also an expert on roller derby but most middle schools don't yet offer the "sport". Zach, until recently, held the #2 spot in the 100 lb. weight category. Through a series of unfortunate circumstances he lost his #2 spot to a 95 pounder who was trying to get a #2 spot anywhere on the team. You see, only two players in each weight class get to participate in the varsity tournaments. It's a coveted position. So, he did the natural thing and challenged for the #2 position in the 105 lb. weight class. He won the spot and last Saturday, we traveled to Brush, Colorado for our first tournament of the season. The bottom line--Zach is the 105 lb. champion and I am a very proud father!

No comments: