Thursday, March 25, 2010



"You think that everyone should agree with your perfect knowledge. While knowledge may make us feel important, it is love that really builds up the church" (1 Corinthians 8:1).



We all have the arrogant ability to at times believe that we are without question in the right and thus others are beyond a doubt in the wrong. It appears that the Holy Spirit writing through the Apostle Paul has a different and higher agenda. God would have us focus not on the correctness of our belief but rather on the spirit with which it is held. We may very well be right--but if our staunch and unwavering views remove love from a relationship--then what have we really accomplished? The Holy Spirit shouts in reply, "NOTHING!" "If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God's secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn't love others, I would be nothing" (1 Corinthians 13:2). Instead of defensively arguing for a position, wouldn't it be wonderful to pause, to lovingly listen, and to attempt to understand the views of another? Maybe I'll try it today...

No comments: