Wednesday, April 08, 2015

The 7 Last Words of Christ from the Cross #6

"I am thirsty." (John 19:28)

John's Gospel tells us in verse 28 that Jesus said, "I am thirsty", in order to fulfill the Scripture.  Verse 29 continues, "A jar of sour wine was standing there; so they put a sponge full of the sour wine upon a branch of hyssop and brought it up to His mouth."  This fulfills Psalm 69:21, "They also gave me gall for my food and for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink."

The message that jumps out at me as I meditate on Psalm 69 is how untrustworthy human beings can be in comparison with the faithfulness of God.  When we look to people to meet our thirst, we are often given a mouth full of vinegar.  Only God can really meet our thirst.  This is a great Psalm for those times when we feel let down by friends and family.  Look to God! He is faithful! He is full of compassion! He is Hope!  "You who seek God, let your heart revive.  For the Lord hears the needy and does not despise His who are prisoners." (Psalm 69:32-33)

Are you thirsty today?  Let me suggest a good long drink from Psalm 69.

No comments: