Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Sin of Pleasing People

"Obviously, I'm not trying to be a people pleaser! No, I am trying to please God. If I were still trying to please people, I would not be Christ's servant." (Galatians 1:10)

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I am a recovering "people-pleaser".  Somewhere early in my life, I adopted a great desire to be loved by people.  Now, I know that we all desire to be loved and accepted, but in my world it was necessary for EVERYONE to love me.  For much of my life, I have done whatever it takes to get as many people as possible to love me.  That, of course, meant that I had to compromise my life and my calling to conform to the expectations of others.  The prescription that I have followed over the past dozen years or so is to practice telling myself the biblical truth about who I am and how much God loves me.  The Bible is flooded with promises and reminders about the great love of God.  The more I have come to believe in the love of God, the less I have needed to try to earn the love of people.

So, to my fellow people-pleasers out there this morning, let me encourage you to rest in God's love and acceptance.  As you read the Bible, focus on the many ways that  God expresses His love.  And should you feel the sting of personal criticism or rejection today, rest in the fact that you are the delight of your Father in heaven.

No comments: