Thursday, January 08, 2009

Let There Be Lights...


The fourth day of creation saw the creation of the "bright lights"--the sun, the stars, and the planets.
"Lights" are separate and unique from "light". The light was created on the first day--the lights are created on the fourth day. I know--you thought that light came from the Sun. Well it does--but before there was a Sun--there was light!
"And God said, 'Let bright lights appear in the sky to separate the day from the night. They will be signs to mark off the seasons, the days, and the years. Let their light shine down upon the earth.' And so it was" (Genesis 1:14-15).
According to the text, the "bright lights" do three things: 1) they separate, 2) they are signs, and 3) they shine light upon the earth.
From the earliest days, the stars have been used as navigational aids in order to help us find our way. A clear example of this is recorded in the second chapter of Matthew's gospel. "Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying, 'Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him'" (Matthew 2:2). According to their testimony, the magi found the Messiah by following a star.
I want to use this fourth day of creation as a call to look for God's activity and to discover His vision. I want to be aware of this particular season in my life. I want to notice the signs and walk in the light as He is in the light. Today I will be looking for the "bright lights". I will be searching for signs that will lead me to the activity of God--the very presence of God.
"But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go out and leap like calves released from the stall" (Malachi 4:2). I'll be looking today for the rising of the Sun of Righteousness--healing wings and all. I plan to do some leaping...

No comments: