Wednesday, August 12, 2015

A Heritage of Faith

"You have the faith of your mother, Eunice, and your grandmother, Lois." (2 Timothy 1:5)

I have two thoughts when I read this verse. #1--Am I living out the faith of my parents and grandparents? #2--Am I passing along the faith that I've been given to my children?

I've been given a great faith. My dad was a pastor and if I'm not mistaken my dad's grandfather was a pastor.  My mom and dad invested many years in serving God through established churches as well as starting new missions. In addition I have a couple of books on my shelf that describe faith experiences of my ancestors.  Allow me to share from one of those books, One Corner of Heaven, which is a history of Floyd County, Texas.

"A few years after Carr's Chapel was built, the L.A. Williams family moved into our midst. True to custom, several families soon called on them and invited them to Sunday School and church. Though not affiliated with any denomination, they began church attendance. When the revival was held that summer, their third child, Aaron, about nine years old, surprised us on Sunday morning when he walked down the aisle alone and made his decision for Christ. Truly a little child led them, for his father soon followed, then his mother and the other children, Raymond, Lois, Larue, Chloma, and Aldine. It was a glorious sight as the entire family stood at the altar rail, accepting Christ and joining the church."

One of those children who accepted Christ that Sunday morning in 1909 happens to be my mom's father, and my grandfather (Raymond).  I've had the honor of standing at the altar rail of Carr's Chapel in the very place where my grandfather and great-grandfather found Jesus. I'm grateful for my heritage of faith and for a community of believers that cared enough to invite a new family to church. I'm here because of them.

No comments: