Thursday, August 13, 2015

Make it Count

"Teach us to make the most of our time, so that we may grow in wisdom." (Psalm 90:12)

The verse literally says to let our days be counted.  It means that every day is a gift and every day matters.  The instruction is to make sure that we don't waste even one of these precious days that God has provided.  I suppose that is wisdom--to make each day count.

Several years ago I taped the Prayer for Serenity into the front cover of my preaching Bible.  I often read it before I step up to teach the Word.  It reminds me of God's activity and my need to simply submit to what He is already doing.  I'll share it with the hope that it might help you number your day.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
trusting that You will make all things right if I surrender to Your will;
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.

No comments: