Saturday, September 09, 2006

A Little Bit of History...


I received a deep love for history from my mother and my grandmother. I love to see and experience historical sites. I find myself in the middle of Camp Lejeune's rich history. In September of 1941, the 1st Marine Division set up camp in the middle of a sandy pine forest along the Atlantic coast of North Carolina. Lejeune now encompasses 246 square miles of Marine training ground. It's huge!

I am doing my training at one of many smaller camps that make up the Lejeune complex. Camp Johnson or Montford Point, was begun in 1941 as the primary Marine boot camp for black marines. The nations military was still segregated at that time and would remain so for another decade.

More than 10,000 students are trained at the various schools that are located at Camp Johnson each year--of which I am one.

No comments: