Saturday, October 28, 2006

Gay Marriage in Colorado

There are two items on the November ballot in Colorado that impact marriage: Amendment 43 and Referendum I.

Referendum I is an attempt to create "Domestic Partnerships" and if passed would have the effect of of including the words "or domestic partnerships" everywhere the word "spouse" now appears in Colorado law. In other words, this is gay marriage. A same-sex couple would go to the courthouse and get a license and become "partnered".

Amendment 43 adds the definition of marriage to the Colorado constitution as "a union of one man and one woman". This is the current law already in Colorado but as recently as yesterday in New Jersey, judges ruled a similar New Jersey law as unconstitutional. You can read about the implications of the New Jersy ruling for Colorado in Baptist Press here. Focus on the Family has also written an insightful article that you can read here.

There are several websites that examine Referendum I and Amendment 43 in greater detail. I would encourage you to take a look and make your own decision. I would recommend you start here.

By the way, you can vote early in Colorado at any of several voting centers throughout Northern Colorado. Vote in Windsor at the Community Recreation Center. I voted last Monday for Amendment 43 and against Referendum I.

No comments: