Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Do All Dogs Go to Heaven?

We put our dog to sleep today. I've never done that before--they usually just die on their own. We've had Pooh for several years and so I'm feeling the loss. It's really good that I'm feeling the loss. My old way of thinking did not allow for such messy feelings. The "putting to sleep" process involves two steps: #1--anesthesia to make him sleepy, #2--an overdose of anesthesia to stop his heart. It was quick and apparently painless. Pooh has cushings disease, a collapsing trachea, and a host of other issues. His breathing had become at times labored and he had a hacking cough that was becoming non-stop. We thought about putting him down way back around Christmas but he seemed to recover--not unlike that poor stiff in Monty Python's Holy Grail movie, "I'm feeling better (British accent). Really, I think I'm ok". So...do dogs go to heaven? St. Francis thought so. The book of Revelation 5:13 states that John saw in his heavenly vision, "every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea" worshipping God. Hmmm...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pooh, I will miss you!!! Every week when I came to your home I was so happy to see him and yet surprised he was still with us.
I could only hope that dogs do go to heaven........Jamie

Dave Samples said...

Thanks, Jamie. We miss him bunches. Zach wants to start looking for a puppy. I think that there is an expected mourning period of a few weeks. Then we'll look for a puppy...lol.

April said...

Hi Dave I just wanted to tell you John and I lost our best friend next to Jesus, 2 1/2 years ago and it was the hardest thing besides losing a family member. I am praying for you and the family. They say your only allowed 1 greatest dog ever in your life time and we had him for 10 years.
Love Always,
April