Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I won!!!

In an amazing twist of fate, I won the "Wade Burleson Essay Contest". If you don't know, Wade Burleson is a Trustee with the International Mission Board who came to be known because of his blogging of events that were occuring within the IMB Trustee Meetings. Some would go so far as to say that the events surround Wade Burleson and his blog were influential in causing the "inner circle" presidential candidates at this years SBC to be passed over by the messengers in favor of a relatively unknown pastor, Frank Page. A few weeks back, Wade invited the readers of his blog (GraceandTruthtoYou) to write a brief essay on what they would do if they were elected president of the SBC. Here is my winning submission:

"If I were president of the SBC, I would...

#1--Seek to reconcile and rebuild relationships with both the BGCT and the BGAV. How can God truly bless us if we are at odds with our brothers and sisters? (Matthew 5:23-24).

#2--Hold "live satellite" conventions in every state convention allowing a truly representative convention. Wouldn't it be cool if every SBC church was actually represented and voting at the SBC?

#3--Reorganize each of our boards in order to streamline effectiveness and to minimize expense.

#4--Initiate a national ad campaign to proclaim the gospel and the positives of SBC churches. Answer the question: 'What are we for?'"

2 comments:

Brett said...

We are the champions, my friend...

I see we are both timellsworth.com readers! Back in the day I was his youth pastor. I'm not sure what went wrong. Don't blame me.

Taran said...

I was excited to see your winning entry on Wade's site. Wow, to think, I knew you before you became famous. Be sure to remember the little people.