Thursday, July 02, 2015

Jesus Paid It All

"We put no confidence in human effort. Instead, we boast about what Christ Jesus has done for us." (Philippians 3:3b)

We trust in Jesus alone for our salvation.  All our good works and all our spiritual exercises don't add one single thing to the work Jesus did on the cross.  It seems too good to be true.  That's why it's the "Good News". 

"What do you do when the pastor rambles on too long? Elvina Hall wrote a hymn. Seated in the choir loft at the Monument Street Methodist Church of Baltimore, she had no paper to write on--only the flyleaf of the hymnal. There she wrote these stanzas." (The One Year Book of Hymns, Tyndale House)

Jesus Paid It All

I hear the Savior say, "Thy strength indeed is small!

Child of weakness, watch and pray, find in Me thine all in all."

Jesus paid it all, All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain--He washed it white as snow.
Lord, now indeed I find Thy pow'r, and Thine alone,
Can change the leper's spots and melt the heart of stone.

For nothing good have I whereby Thy grace to claim--
I'll wash my garments white in the blood of Calv'ry's Lamb.

And when before the throne I stand in Him complete,
"Jesus died my soul to save," my lips shall still repeat.


Elvina Mabel Hall (1820-1889)

No comments: