Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The 10 Commandments on Your Fingers!

Many years a go, I saw a really creative memory tool for remembering the Ten Commandments. I saw this on a placement and I wish that I was creative enough to reproduce it for you. I've used it hundreds of times to help teach the ten commandments.
#1--Worship only God...Hold one index finger up signifying that there is only one God.
#2--Don't make idols...Hold up two fingers and make a scissors cutting
action with them.
#3--Don't take the Lord's name in vain. Hold three fingers up to
make a "W". Watch your Words!
#4--Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. Hold up four
fingers. This is 4 people in a car with 4 tires on their way to
church.
#5--Honor your mother and father. Make a salute with you whold hand
(5 fingers).
#6--Don't murder. Aim one finger (like a gun) at the 5 on the other
hand and say "bang".
#7--Don't commit adultery. Hold up five fingers. The hand with
only two fingers up represents a "V" for virgin.
#8--Don't Steal. Hold up eight fingers. One hand will only have
three fingers up. In the old days they used to cut off a thief's
fingers. This thief got caught twice.
#9--Don't Bear False Witness. Hold up 9 fingers. Only one is
down. It's 9 against 1. Who is telling the truth?
#10--Don't covet. Hold up all ten fingers and make a grabbing
motion.

That's the Ten Commandments on your fingers!

3 comments:

Taran said...

Dave,

I've been using this with my kids during our devotional time. They LOVE it. Thanks for posting it.

Taran said...

Dave,

Our church is doing the EKG training and dividing up into break out sessions after the evening service.

Last night I shared your device for remembering the commandments and they loved it. When I got home I had a message on our answering machine from a tough car mechanic in our church who asked me to call him.

When I returned his call, the first thing he said was "What's number eight again??"

Dave Samples said...

Taran,

Wow...someone actually remembers something that I've posted...

Thanks for the positive feedback. The only mistake that I have ever made with this tool is teaching it to young children. #7 gets interesting!