Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Me and Dr. Blackaby...

Amazing! For the second time in my life I have been given the honor of appearing immediately before Henry Blackaby! Yesterday, I referred you to Okpreacher's blog where my answers to "7 Questions" were published. This morning, as I was reading through the blogs that I monitor each day, I made my way to Okpreacher's site and, low and behold, there he was....Henry Blackaby answering "7 Questions"! I "paged-down" and sure enough, there I was, appearing right before Dr. Blackaby. In fact, if you look carefully, I think you will see that my picture is actually a little larger than Henry's picture. At least my head is bigger (feel free to laugh). You can see it for yourself by clicking here.

Now as I said, this is the second time that I've spoken immediately before Dr. Blackaby. I have to go back a few years to tell you about the first time. I was in my final year at Southwestern Seminary in Fort Worth and my turn had come to preach in "preaching lab". This is a high-pressure situation where your fellow students, as well as your preaching professor, grade your ability to write and present a biblical message. Once you conclude your message, the students are all allowed to take critical "pot-shots" at you and many choose to take full adavantage of their opportunity to share their gift of discouragement. The professor speaks last and, of course, has the final word. I survived the volly of questions and successfully fended off the lame criticisms of my almost perfect presentation. I would proudly receive an A for my efforts!

Leaving the preaching lab, I made my way down to the chapel (as was my custom) to hear the day's speaker. That's when it happened--he was announced--"Please give a warm Southwestern welcome to Dr. Henry Blackaby". It took only a brief moment for my mind to realize the honor that had just been bestowed upon me...yes I, Dave Samples, had just spoken immediately before Henry Blackaby. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

In humble recognition of this honor, I know proudly provide a link to Dr. Henry Blackaby's website for your convenience. Click here. I'm sure it will only be a short time before Dr. Blackaby returns the favor....