Thursday, August 31, 2006

I got soaked today (twice)

Today was an interesting day of training. Of course, it began early as I've grown to expect. I had my very first written exam this morning at 6:00am. I scored 93% (thank you very much!). We had a "Group Ability Run" later in the morning after the sun had risen. The run involved all four platoons that are involved in various types of training at the Field Medical Services School of which I am also a student. I chose to run with the "medium" group which turned out to be a good choice. I ran well and finished among the front of the pack. That's where the fun begins. The 4th Platoon (of which I'm now apart) has a nasty habit of finishing the run with lots (and lots) of exercises. In the midst of that--Ernesto chose to start dropping huge quantities of rain upon us. So...there I was...exercising in the mud absolutely soaked. Later in the day we went outside to do pull-ups (in the rain, of course). For the second time in the day I was soaked. The way it works is that you do as many pull-ups as you can and then someone holds your feet to help you do a few more. I did the three that I can do and then began to receive my obligatory help. I chose, at that point, to let go with one hand and do two more pull-ups (assisted) with one hand. The surrounding troops roared with laughter and applause (always the ham).

Just so you know that I'm not suffering too much. My room is pretty nice. It's somewhat like a motel room in that I have maid service every day (no more making my bed). I have cable tv and wireless internet. I share a bathroom and a kitchenette with another chaplain. It's actually pretty nice. I'll get the camera out this weekend and upload some pictures.

No comments: