Wednesday, August 30, 2006

LeJeune - Day 1

0400: Alarm goes off. (That's 2am Windsor time)
0405: Secondary alarm (cell phone) sounds.
0410: Third and final alarm (watch) chirps.
0415: Shower & Shave
0425: Get Dressed (khaki uniform)
0430: Buff shoes and reinspect uniform for flaws.
0440: Watch Fox News.
0445: Head out to find "Chow" Hall (still very dark outside, hot & humid).
0500: Eat Breakfast.
0530: Search for correct school building.
0600: Begin school (Meet staff and lots of administrative paper work).
0900: Navy PRT (Physical Readiness Test) 1.5 mile run, push-ups, sit-ups. (finish first among five chaplains--under 12 minutes for run...)

The rest of the day was filled with classes and receiving equipment. I have a full pack (too many items to tell you about at this point) that I will get to carry around on several long hikes.

I finished the day about 4:00pm, grapped a quick nap, and joined my fellow chaplains for dinner. I prepped my uniform for the next day and was asleep by 9pm....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, so that's one down and how many to go...? Hum, I wonder which is harder, having your spirit and mind stretched in seminary (hey who suggested that idea) or attaining physical and spiritual discipline, hum.

Hang in there Bro. Our thoughts and prayers follow you.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,

Well I take it that they are trying to discipline your mind and body... sometimes I feel the professors here would have made good mental DIs... Hey, who was it that encouraged me to go to a seminary anyway... wait till I catch up with him (smirk).

Hang in there Bro. I don't even want to imagine what they are putting you through but look forward to reading of your training. If I'm black and blue when you get back you can blame my Integrative Theology class.

Blessings to you,

Ken

Dave Samples said...

Ken,

Even now I'm in the process of memorizing lots of "useless" information to give back to my teachers tomorrow morning on a test. It's a lot like seminary only with with pull-ups.

Kevin Bussey said...

Dave,

I was on staff @ FBC Jax in the mid 90's. Sempre Fi!

Dave Samples said...

Kevin,

I'll check it out this weekend. Are there other churches that would be good to experience?

Anonymous said...

PD:
Glad to hear that you survived the first day without incident. I am praying for you and your family each day. I was up at 4 a.m. (Windsor time) to do so (o:

Linda Linda

Dave Samples said...

Thanks, Linda. This is turning out to be extremely challenging--but I'm having fun!