- Samuel grew up. I too am growing up. The Father and the Spirit are teaching me each day new things about myself and new things about God. Things that I have never understood in forty-five years of life are becoming understandable.
- The Lord was with Samuel. This, I suppose, is the secret. The presence of the Lord Is absolutely essential for life. A friend has said that he has learned the difference between religion and relationship and that now he is learning the difference between relationship and communion. I share his desire. I want to be in intimate communion with God—a life-sharing fellowship.
- Everything that he said was wise and helpful. I will speak at Baby Gabriel’s memorial service this afternoon. May the Spirit saturate me with His life so that everything that I say today will be wise and helpful. May I learn to simply be quiet if I have nothing to say.
- He was confirmed as a prophet of the Lord. All of the people knew that Samuel was confirmed. Who confirmed him? God did the work of confirming. How did it happen? I don’t know except that the people somehow knew that Samuel was a prophet. May God confirm me in the same way as a prophet of God. This will be a process as I continue to grow. May God show up today at this funeral and demonstrate His ability to provide love and care. May I somehow be a useful tool in the hand of God as he comforts his people.
- The Lord continued to appear to him. Tomorrow morning I will head to the mountains for a day of prayer. May the Father appear to me! Each day for the rest of my life, may the Father appear to me!
- The Lord continued to give him messages. Though I am not preaching, the Father continues to give me messages. May I find the intended recipients and share the Word of the Lord faithfully.
- His words went out to all the people. The Father’s plan is to saturate the land with the Word of God—the Word of grace—the Word of salvation. AMEN!
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Growing Up with Samuel...
“As Samuel grew up, the Lord was with him, and everything Samuel said was wise and helpful. All the people of Israel from one end of the land to the other knew that Samuel was confirmed as a prophet of the Lord. The Lord continued to appear at Shiloh and gave messages to Samuel there at the Tabernacle. And Samuel’s words went out to all the people of Israel” (1 Samuel 3:19-21).