Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Shaking Free...

Samson found himself trapped by his poor decisions and irresponsible behavior. The Scripture says,“When he woke up, he thought, ‘I will do as before and shake myself free.’ But he didn’t realize the Lord had left him” (Judges 16:20). This is an incredibly sad verse that demonstrates the futility of taking God’s Spirit for granted. David prayed in his great confessionary prayer recorded in Psalm 51, “Don’t take your Holy Spirit from me” (v11). Without the Spirit we are all toast! Only with the Spirit’s power can I “shake myself free”. Only with the Spirit’s power can we become all that God has created us to be. Samson would later pray, "O God, please strengthen me one more time..." (Judges 16:28).

I find myself in Denver this morning attending a very important meeting that was scheduled months ago. I am here to look into some issues concerning our state convention. I’ve discovered, however that the real purpose of my being here is to encourage my good friend who is and has been going through some very difficult days. I am in an especially good place to be able to come along side my friend. I wrote two things on the top of my notes as we began yesterday afternoon: #1—Follow Jesus!, and #2—Empathize! As of 10:00 this morning, a conflict that has plagued our convention for the past four years was finally resolved. With God all things are possible!

This afternoon was filled with conversations with good friends.

Late today I was given a wonderful gift. I was given Bob Dylan's 1963 record album, "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan". This was his second album and included the radio hit "Blowin' in the Wind". The record is in excellent condition and is more than thoughtful in that not a whole lot of people know of my love for all things Bob Dylan, matched with the fact that I collect records.

The highlights of my day always include the conversations that I share with Tina. Her mom is doing some better though there is much improvement that is still needed.

No comments: